DD-WRT Is Awesome FREE & OPEN SOURCE Linux Based Firmware That Will Turn Your Router Into a BEAST !!
Q1:What is DD-WRT?
A1:Read the title of this blog posting. JK…DD-WRT is free Linux-based firmware for several wireless routers, most notably the Linksys WRT54G (including the WRT54GL and WRT54GS). It is licensed under the GNU General Public License version 2.
Q2:Why would I want to upgrade my router’s stock firmware?
A2:Because with DD-WRT firmware you can boost your wireless signal, prioritize what programs get the most bandwidth, turn your router into a repeater (to bounce a wireless signal outside onto you back patio), turn your wireless router into a reciever (to recieve a signal from another router on your network [more on this topic later...]), and/or because all the cool kids are doing it.
Ok so now that you know why you want to upgrade your router’s firmware to Open Source DD-WRT, here the how:
- 1 – Determine if your router can use DD-WRT by clicking here.
- 2 – Download the latest and greatest version of DD-WRT firmware.
- 3 – Follow these instructions if you are using a Linksys WRT54G.
- 4 – Follow the Peacock Thread instructions for everything else.
- 5 – Post all of your questions in the comments area and I will gladly answer all of them.
I promise, you guys are going to love what can be done with this awesome firmware upgrade.
If you enjoyed this article please consider leaving a comment or subscribing to the feed and get future articles delivered to your feed reader.
Previous Post: Mr Bup.com just reached 100 Blog Post Comments !!
Next Post: Chrome is Google’s First Free & Open Source Web Browser
You May Also Enjoy One Of These Posts:
- FREE & Open Source Windows Based GPL Desktop Computer Virus Scanning Software
- The BEST Damn Digital Cell Phone EVER!! HTC Touch Pro 2 that Runs Google Android
- RSSOwl is a Great Free & Open Source RSS Feed Reader For many Platform Including Windows, Linux, & MAC OS X
- Miro is the Premier Free & Open Source Internet TV and Video Player for RSS Channels
- AllDLL.net is an Online Repository of over 15000 DLL Files to Fix Your PC Problems for Free